We Need You to Help Us Make Our Vision Come Alive!
- Volunteers are the lifeblood of the PCAM community. We have a core of approximately 100 very active volunteers, which is quite large for a museum of our size. That just shows how enjoyable it is, and the satisfaction to be had from volunteering.
There is always a troop of volunteers around. Regardless of your level of experience there’s something fun for you to do here, and if you don’t know how to do it we’ll happily teach you. We’re a very friendly bunch and we would love for you to join us.
People of all ages are welcome.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Pride in knowing you are helping preserve some amazing aircraft and the memories of those who flew and maintained them.
- Gain experience that you can apply to a career in aviation, business, or non-profits.
- Satisfaction of contributing to education and the community.
- Free admission to the events you volunteer for.
- Interaction with Museum volunteers, members, executives, and sponsors, and with the public.
- Special annual “Volunteer Appreciation” barbecue.
- Make friends: Meet and socialize with interesting people who share your passion for aircraft and flying and who flew the planes we preserve.
- A dynamic and colorful environment.
- Spend more time among this amazing collection of historic aircraft and artifacts.
- The appreciation and acknowledgement of your fellow volunteers, Museum members, and the Museum Board.
- It’s just plain fun!
You’re guaranteed to go home tired at the end of the day, but with a big smile on your face.
- Staffing the Gift Shop
- Helping manage and staff Museum events
- Hot Dog Thursday staff
- Maintaining and restoring the aircraft
- Setting up exhibits
- Cutting the grass
- Maintaining the facilities
- Managing Museum communications
- Administrative/office work
- Writing for the Straight Scoop newsletter
- Any number of jobs at the annual Air Show, from marshalling aircraft to taking tickets
- And more! If there’s something specific you would like to contribute, let us know!
Volunteers Needed For…
- Volunteers are always needed for every job the Museum has.
Right now, we particularly need people for…
Gift Shop staff
The docents in the Gift Shop are the first and the last people our visitors see when visiting our museum. So they have an important job, welcoming them on their way in and thanking them upon departure. You’ll be selling Museum admission and Gift Shop items like tee shirts, toys, and videos. It’s a fun job, and a great opportunity to meet people.
A lot of our visitors are there for personal reasons…i.e., dad or grandfather flew or worked on one of the planes, or better yet, they flew one of the planes themselves! You would be amazed at some of the stories they have to tell. One gentleman served on six aircraft carriers, four of which were sunk, and one of which was involved in the search for Amelia Earhart! Imagine, to be talking with a man who was part of the actual aerial search for the most famous lost aviator of all time!
The Gift Shop is air conditioned, and crammed full of interesting aircraft memorabilia.
Don’t worry if you have no retail experience. We will train you. It’s really pretty easy.
Find out more about the Gift Shop at the Pacific Coast Air Museum.
A FAMILY-FRIENDLY PLACE WITH HISTORY YOU CAN TOUCH!
There’s always something great going on at the Pacific Coast Air Museum. We have Open Cockpit weekends once a month, special events throughout the year, and regular hot dog lunches. We host school field trips, special group tours, birthday parties, and family get-togethers, all among our collection of historic aircraft and educational exhibits.