Aviation Merit Badge
Aviation Merit Badge Update
Earn Your Merit Badge in Aviation
A one-day class that earns a Merit Badge in Aviation. The course follows the curriculum requirements established by the Scouts BSA.
The Scout Merit Badge Class is a great weekend activity for kids and young adults involved in Scouting. It is a rare opportunity to earn a Merit Badge in an environment perfectly suited to it: at an institution devoted to education, taught by experienced aviators, at an airport where they can sit in a real airplane and go flying as the grand finale.
We’ve held many sessions of this class over the past several years, and they always get a great response and a lot of students. If you intend to register we suggest you do so well in advance because the classes often fill up. The Aviation Merit Badge Class at the Pacific Coast Air Museum attracts students from all over the Bay Area and Northern California, and is one of the few that offers as much hands-on experience and access to actual airworthy aircraft.
Advance reservations are required. Registrations are limited to 30 students per online Zoom class. Register Now for 2023 classes using our downloadable form (.pdf). Be sure to also fill out and return the Flying Permit, included with the registration fee.
2023 Class Dates:
Saturday, January 21st
Saturday, May 20th
Saturday, October 21st
In person 8 am- 3pm
- Guest speakers from several facets of aviation
- Tour historical aircraft with experienced Docents
- Experience Hands-on aircraft riveting techniques
- Kinds of aircraft
- Physics of flight
- Aircraft engines
- Careers in aviation
Instructor Art Hayssen is a fully vetted, approved Merit Badge Counselor with Boy Scouts of America and he signs off on the Merit Badge completion forms.
- Art is a 5-time NAFI Master Instructor
- FAA FAASTeam Lead Representative in the North San Francisco Bay Area
- ATP and active Flight Instructor since 1980
- Over 8,000 hours of flight instruction
- Instructor certificate – airplane single, multi-engine, land and sea, and instrument ratings.
- Recipient of an AOPA and eight FAA Flight Safety Awards.
- Designated as California’s first Master Instructor Emeritus.
- Taught Aviation, Meteorology, and Geography at the Santa Rosa Junior College for the past 33 years.
Bring Your Lunch
No food will be provided so each student is responsible for bringing his or her own lunch.
Registration is limited to 30 students on a first-come-first-served basis. If there are more than 30 registrants, we will put them on a waiting list in the order they were received. Registration closes five days before each class.