C-1A Trader History
The C-1 Trader grew out of a need by the United States Navy for a new anti submarine airplane. In response to this Grumman began development on a prototype twin-engine, high-wing aircraft which it designated the G-89. In 1952 the Navy designated this aircraft the XS2F-1 and flew it for the first time on December 4 that year. During the rest of the 1950s three major variants emerged, the C-1 Trader being one of them. The C-1 (originally the TF-1) was outfitted to carry nine passengers or 3,500 pounds (1,600 kg) of cargo and first flew in January 1955.
Throughout the 1960s and 1970s the C-1 Trader carried mail and supplies to aircraft carriers on station in the Pacific Ocean during the Vietnam War and also served as a trainer for all-weather carrier operations. Over its production life 83 C-1 Traders were built, of which four were converted into EC-1A Tracer electronic countermeasures aircraft. The last C-1 was retired from USN service in 1988; it was the last radial engine aircraft in U.S military service. As of 2010, approximately ten were still airworthy in civil hands, operating as warbirds.
This particular aircraft was donated to the Pacific Coast Air Museum in flying condition. Museum founders and members had long envisioned a division of the Museum that would maintain and operate airworthy aircraft and with this donation, the Flight Wing was born.
More detail will be added about this aircraft as it becomes available
C-1A Trader Specifications
69.6 ft (21.2 m)
42.2 ft (12.9 m)
16.3 ft (4.9 m)
Maximum takeoff weight
29,150 lbs. (13,222 kg)
18,750 lbs. (8,504 kg)
Pilot and Copilot, plus up to nine passengers.
287 mph (462 km/h)
1,300 miles (2,092 km)
2 × Wright R-1820-82WA Cyclone 9-cylinder radial piston engine, 1,525 hp (1,137 kW) each